Direct Mail Marketing Tips
Direct marketing provides you with an excellent way to conduct a test of your market relatively quickly, at a reasonable cost.
Using direct mail has plenty of advantages:
- You can target individual recipients accurately – by addressing mailings to personal contacts.
- You can create a precise campaign to fit your exact budget.
- Direct Mail can have a quick turnaround – with a small campaign to a niche audience, you can purchase data; design and develop materials (letter, flyer, postcard), send out your campaign and start to get results.
How would you like 10 new clients?
On average, businesses receive 14 pieces of direct mail per week and welcome personalised direct mail which is relevant and addressed to the recipient – this is why 77% of all direct mail is opened and read – and businesses are attracting up to 10 new clients each month.
As an excellent form of communication, we have listed here our best marketing tips for Direct Mail campaigns, the areas that are consistently scanned and in order of importance.
Headline – always include a headline that entices your client to read further. Outline here what the outcome will be for your potential client. It has also been proven that headlines on direct mail campaigns have much more impact when they appear after the first sentence and a 1/3 of the way down the page.
PS – 90% of people read the PS first (or second after the heading)! This comes at the very bottom of the letter underneath a signature and this is where you should include your call-to-action. Tell the potential client what you would like them to do with the information you have sent to them.
Dear – personalise each letter. People do not read letters that are addressed to Dear householder, Dear sir / madam, Dear member, Dear business owner, Dear person that will buy my product/service. You are considerably diminishing your possibility of striking up any relationship with the intended recipient.
Bullet Points – (or bold type) enabling your client to quickly run through the most important points to ensure they read further. We would suggest six bullet points or six highlighted short sections throughout your letter as a maximum.
Signature – Always include a personal name and contact number in your signature. People buy from people and a great idea is to keep your profiles updated online to enable companies to look you up.
Test Campaigns for Optimum Results
- You can test different offers / approaches – by splitting down your data into segments. You can try different offers, and you will find one works better than another. Use the best mailing, and then always try to better the results in your next campaign. Eventually, you will start to receive improved responses on each mailing.
- You can send out your campaign again to the same individuals – with slightly different material and still achieve great results. Most industry experts say that companies do not achieve enough benefits out of their resources.
- You will always have plenty of prospects – use your imagination to think of new niche industries for your business, there are 100’s that your competitors will have never dreamed of.
Always ensure that you target a specific market with a specific mailer that is relevant to the industry and / or company profile.
B2B Data can be segmented by geographic location, industry, financial records, no. of employees, multiple locations and job titles.